Hello from the Dean
Hallym University established the College of International Studies at the start of the 2008 spring semester with the purpose of educating students who, in a rapidly globalizing and more competitive environment both in Korea and worldwide, can individually realize their potential as well as contribute to enhance the competitiveness of the Korean Economy. We pay particular attention to students in Gangwon Province who are somewhat distanced from the benefits of globalization.
To distinguish our program from international studies programs offered at other universities in Korea, CIS at Hallym decided to focus on Economics, Business, and Marketing Communications. The main reason concerned the future careers of our graduating students. The International Advertising Association (IAA) accredited the Marketing and Advertising programs at Hallym, and this accreditation is awarded solely to Hallym University in Korea. Students of CIS will receive this IAA Diploma.
To help our students acquire foreign experiences before graduation, we send our students to CIS partner universities for one year in their third year. In this venture, our students are supposed to experience foreign culture as well as further study their major field. In 2010, we sent students to the University at Albany SUNY, and Nicholls State University in the USA, and to Victoria University of Wellington in New Zealand.
We also have East-Asian Studies at CIS, which offers a program for foreign students to learn Korean language and Korean culture. Mixing with foreign students from various countries, CIS students spend their college years in an international setting.
Hallym University is well known for having excellent faculty. With supreme faculty members along with a distinctive curriculum, I am very proud to promise that we can produce international men and women endowed with professional knowledge and social value. Thank you.
Sketch of CIS
There are two majors in addition to East-Asian Studies: International Trade and Business (ITB), and International Marketing Communications (IMC).
ITB and IMC
1) All courses are in English.
2) General Education is taught in the first year. We offer very intensive English Language courses.
3) A major is selected at the end of the first year.
4) It is required that three consecutive courses of one of the three second foreign languages, Chinese, Japanese, or Spanish, must be taken.
5) Dormitory residence is mandatory for the 1st year.
6) Double majors, in ITB and IMC, are strongly recommended.
7) IAA Diploma awarded with taking specified courses.
8) Study Abroad Program (SAP) is a graduation requirement.
1) In addition to scholarships that apply to Hallym students in general, we have scholarships for those students who showed excellent English Proficiency in the entrance examination. An incoming student who achieved the greatest score in the entrance examination will be exempted from tuition and dormitory fees for 8 semesters and will be given a stipend each month.
2) High 1 Resort supports students from the mining area with full scholarships.
3) The City of Hwacheon supports students from the city with full scholarships.
4) Scholarships will be available to students with activities related to Medical Tourism.
5) Various Mentor-Mentee programs provide scholarships.
Academic programs: 1 admission unit, 3 independent majors